Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Kahani Hamaray Mahabharat Ki

The latest televised version of Mahabharat by (K)Ekta Kapoor is making a lot of news these days - be it the costumes designed by Manish Malhotra, the lavish sets or the speculation about who is playing what character. Recently, I happened to come across a message board on a website which had asked people to comment on the upcoming series and what they felt about it. Well, a large majority of people (predictably) felt that it would pale in comparison to the older version (by B.R. Chopra), however a select few had some pretty interesting (and rather funny) comments to make considering it was Ekta Kapoor - the saas bahu specialist who was at the helm of affairs. I found some of these comments outrageously funny and would like to share them with all you people. Please note that I do not mean any offence to anyone and all of this is to be taken in good humour.

Comment #1 The battle of Kurukshetra happens three times. Why ? Well, after the Kauravas are killed they come back again with the help of plastic surgery and all new faces (maybe with a new height also)
Comment #2 Kunti and Draupadi have regular saas bahu battles in Indraprastha (together with sound effects and rotating camera angles)
Comment #3 As Ekta kapoor is known for bringing characters from different serials together, maybe in this Mahabharat, the Kauravas will enlist the help of Ravana to fight the Pandavas who in turn will call upon Rama to join them in the battle
Comment #4 Tulsi (Smriti Irani) should be considered for the role of Bheem, Bakasur or Ghatotkach (people who have seen her recently should find this pretty funny)
Comment #5 This series may continue well into 2025. After all, if someone can stretch silly stories (read: the current K crop of serials) upto 7 years, god only knows what they will do when they have the largest epic in the world in their hands
Well, these comments were certainly the best of the lot I happened to come across. Hope you find them as funny as I did.
P.S : By the way, I happened to catch the first episode of "Kahani Hamaray Mahabharat Ki" (hope i got the number of a's and r's right ) and I was shocked. Firstly, the costumes looked as if they would be more suitable on roman gladiators. Secondly, it started off with the drapuadi cheer-haran sequence and then went into flashback mode (typical K-Serial style). The lesser I say about the acting and the dialogues the better. Give me the old Mahabharat any day (I am, in fact watching it on YouTube these days). Did any of you guys see it ? Feel free to give me your comments about it.

No comments: